I know it says sausage and it also says Pareve. I’m not losing my mind! I defy anyone at your meal to discern the difference between this cornbread stuffing and the one that is made with milk and pork sausage. Even if you aren’t kosher, this recipe eliminates a lot of guilt as well as cholesterol. The cornbread recipe is good on it’s own as well. Enjoy!
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 scant Tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 6 Tablespoons corn oil
- 1 egg
- 1 ear of corn or 1 cup frozen, defrosted corn kernels
- Spray a 9 inch square pan or a 7 x 11 pyrex pan with non-stick spray. Set aside. Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine the first five ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Combine the soy milk and the lemon juice in a 2 cup pyrex measuring cup. Whisk in the oil and the egg. When combined, add the corn kernals.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the bowl and stir only until thoroughly combined. Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake for 20 – 25 minutes or until a tester comes out clean when inserted into the center of the bread, and the top is a light golden brown. Cool for future use.
NOTE: May be made 2 days in advance or frozen for later use.
- 1 recipe cornbread
- 2 Tablespoon vegetable oil
TO MAKE THE STUFFING:
- 1 pound Soy based sausage meat substitute
- 1 stick non-dairy margarine
- 1 onion, chopped into ¼ inch dice
- 2 large stalks celery, chopped into ¼ inch dice
- 1 Tablespoon dried crushed sage
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 ¼ teaspoons poultry seasoning
- ¾ teaspoon salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable or ersatz chicken broth
- Lightly grease a 2 quart casserole with oil or margarine and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet for 20 seconds and then add the oil. Heat oil for 10 seconds and then add the vegetarian sausage and saute’ until the mixture is crumbling and slightly browned. Remove “sausage” to a large bowl. Do not worry if particles of soy stick to the pan, they will come off later.
- Heat the stick of margarine in the same frying pan used for the “sausage”.
- Saute’ the onion for 3 minutes and then add the celery and the sage and saute’ for another 5 minutes. Scrape the bottom of the frying pan and add this vegetable mixture to the bowl with the “sausage”.
- Add the parsley, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper and stir.
- Measure stock into a 2 cup glass measuring cup. Add the eggs and beat to combine.
- Crumble entire recipe of cornbread into the bowl with the sausage-vegetable mixture and stir to combine.
- Add the egg mixture and mix well. Bake covered with foil for 40 minutes and uncovered until golden brown. May be made a day in advance and then baked just before serving.