1 large sweet potato (about 12-14 ounces) baked until soft
½ cup full fat coconut milk or cream
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 tablespoons brown sugar
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
¼ teaspoon salt
- Peel and mash the sweet potato until smooth. Add ¼ cup of the coconut milk. Stir to combine and then refrigerate for at least 1 hour or until very cold.
- Preheat oven to 400F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a 3 quart bowl combine the remaining dry ingredients.
- Using a fork, mix the sweet potato mixture into the flour mixture until just combined. Don’t over mix. If the mixture appears dry then add more of the reserved coconut milk 1 tablespoon at a time until the dough holds together.
- Lightly flour a board or your counter. Lightly flour your hands and gently press the dough together to form a rectangle that is 1 inch thick.
- Cut the dough into 2 inch rounds and place on the prepared pan at least 1 inch apart.
- Brush the tops of the biscuits with any remaining coconut milk and bake for 12-15 minutes until puffed and bottom is lightly browned.
- Eat warm or at room temperature. Store in a plastic bag or lidded container for up to 3 days.
Adapted from a recipe found in Washington Post