SWEET POTATO – PUMPKIN CAZUELA
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter or pareve margarine
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
2 Tablespoons all purpose flour or 1 Tablespoon potato starch
½ teaspoon salt
5.6 ounce can unsweetened coconut milk (about 2/3 cup)
1 15 ounce can pumpkin puree (NOT pie filling) or 1 small sugar pie pumpkin
1 29 ounce can of yams in light syrup, drained, or 3 large baked sweet potatoes,peeled
1/3 cup water
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
2 inch piece of stick cinnamon broken into pieces
1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds
3 whole cloves
1. Place the butter in a 2 quart Pyrex bowl and microwave for 45 seconds. NOTE: cover the bowl with a paper towel to prevent any butter from splashing the interior of the microwave oven.
2. Whisk the sugars, flour and salt into the butter to combine.
3. Whisk the coconut milk and eggs into the mixture until thoroughly blended.
4. Puree the sweet potatoes and pumpkin in a processor workbowl until smooth. Add this mixture to the ingredients in the mixing bowl and whisk until a smooth batter is formed.
5. Combine the water with the spices in a small glass cup and microwave for 1 ½ minutes. Strain the spiced water through a fine mesh strainer into the pumpkin -potato mixture and stir to incorporate.
6. Butter a 2 quart casserole and pour the mixture into the prepared dish.
7. Bake covered in a pre-heated 350F oven for 1 hour. Serve.
• Sugar pie pumpkins are about 1 ½ pounds and very rounded. Always use them when a recipe calls for cooked pumpkin. Larger pumpkins are more watery.
• Coconut milk is not milk or dairy. It is the liquid formed from ground, fresh, hydrated coconut.