Light, flaky crust enveloping a sweet-tart spinach, raisin and anchovy filling. I have included the ingredients and directions for an authentic Tapas dough, however, Peppridge Farm puff pastry sheets work as an easy substitute and are Pareve to boot.
- 3 cups flour
- 1-teaspoon salt
- 3/4-cup ice water
- 1 Tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup Crisco
- 2 Tablespoons raisins
- 1 ½ Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 10 ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed very dry
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 anchovies mashed
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 3 Tablespoons Pine Nuts
- 1 egg, beaten with 1-teaspoon water for glaze
- To make the dough, combine the flour and salt in a processor workbowl and pulse on and off to “sift”.
- Combine the water, vinegar, and egg yolks and add to the processor as it is running. Do not allow a ball of dough to form, just allow the dough to begin to hold together. Let the dough rest for 20-30 minutes.
- Roll the dough into a 10 x 15 rectangle and spread 1/4 cup of the Crisco on the dough. Fold the dough into thirds starting the folding from the bottom up and then the top down just like you would fold a letter. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- With the fold on your left, roll the dough out again into a 10 x 15 rectangle and spread another 1/4 cup Crisco. Fold up again and refrigerate in plastic wrap for 15 minutes. Repeat this procedure one more time but let the dough rest for at least 1 hour or overnight. The dough can also be frozen until later use.
- To make the filling, cover the raisins with water in a small bowl and microwave for 3 minutes. Soak until needed.
- Heat the oil in a skillet and sauté the spinach until it gives up its juices. Add the salt, pepper, anchovies and garlic and cook for a minute.
- Drain the raisins and finely chop them with the pine nuts in a food processor or by hand. Stir into the spinach mixture.
- Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface to a thickness of 1/8 inch. Cut the dough into 2-3 inch circles.
- Place a teaspoon of the filling on the dough and fold in half. Seal the edges by crimping with the tines of a fork and brush with the egg glaze.
- Bake on parchment paper at 350F for 15 minutes or until golden. Serve hot or at room temperature.