Here is a recipe for a not so basic cheese quesadilla. Although quesadillas are generally served as appetizers,with added protein and vegetables like corn, roasted zucchini or eggplant these could easily serve as a main dish accompanied by a salad or soup. The simple technique for making the quesadillas properly make them a foolproof addition to your cooking repertoire.
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- 5 large flour tortillas
- 4 ounces grated Chihuahua cheese
- 1 small can diced chilies
- 1 mango or papaya diced
- Sauté the sliced onion in the butter until sweet and lightly golden. Sprinkle the lime juice over all and set aside.
- Spread out the tortillas and divide the cheese, chilies, mango and onions evenly over the bottom half of each tortilla.
- Fold the tortillas in half; brush both sides with the oil and sauté the quesadillas on each side until the tortillas are lightly golden and crisp.
- Cut each tortilla into thirds or fourths and serve plain or with salsa and sour cream.