This might sound like a complicated dish but it is quite easy to prepare; less than ten minutes to prepare and 17 minutes or less to cook! The perfect dish for a buffet because it can be made in advance and tastes even better served at room temperature. The mustard sauce is perfect for chicken, vegetables and pasta as well as this delicious salmon.
2 teaspoons unsalted butter
Approximately 1 pound salmon fillet, skin removed, or whole side-SEE NOTE
1. With a sharp knife, slice the salmon crosswise into 1 or 1 1/2 inch wide strips. Set aside.
2. Cut as many 15 x 14 inch pieces of foil as you have salmon. Lay the foil squares shiny side up on your work surface. Rub approximately 1/2 teaspoon of butter over the foil.
3. Remove the zest from the lime with a zester and place the strips in a small glass dish. Cover with water and microwave for 45 seconds to soften. Set aside.
4. Cut away all of the white pith from the lime and then section the lime, placing segments in a small bowl. Set aside. You can use 2 to 3 pieces of lime per portion of fish if you wish.
5. Place one piece of salmon in the center of the foil. Season lightly with a little cayenne. Grate about 1/2 teaspoon ginger over each piece of fish and then top each portion with some of the julienne zest and the lime sections.
6. Have the foil edges meet over the top of the fish and fold the edges over 2 or 3 times. Flatten each end and then bring in corners and then fold 2 or 3 times like you would when wrapping a present.
7. Place packets on a rimmed cookie sheet and bake at 450F for 6 or 7 minutes or until the foil is puffed. Open packets immediately and serve hot or at room temperature with the following sauce if desired.
NOTE: One whole side of salmon fillet, without skin, may be made the same way. Use a long piece of foil to allow 3 inches of room at each end and roast for 16-17 minutes depending on the thickness of the fish.
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1-2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
2-4 teaspoons dry white wine or dry vermouth
1 teaspoon dry or 1 Tablespoon fresh dill, basil, tarragon, green peppercorns or lemon thyme
1. Combine all of the ingredients and let set until ready to use.