3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil(preferably Greek oil)
1 large onion, cut into 1/4 inch dice
8 cups chicken broth
½ cup long grain rice
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2-3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
Sprig of dill for garnish (optional)
Zest of 1 lemon cut into long, fine strips for garnish (optional)
- Heat the oil in a 3 quart saucepan. Sauté the onions over moderate heat until soft and very lightly golden.
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Add the rice.
- Simmer the soup, covered, for twenty minutes or until the rice is tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- After the soup and rice are cooked, whisk the lemon juice with the eggs. Whisking constantly, add ½ cup of the hot soup to the egg mixture to temper it.
- With the soup on the lowest heat, add the lemon mixture slowly into the pot whisking constantly until the mixture is thoroughly incorporated.
- Add the chopped dill and garnish with the thin strips of lemon zest and an additional sprig of dill.