A perfect salad for summer meals and a great recipe to make with children. This recipe is made even easier by utilizing store-bought cooked chicken or smoked turkey (or any leftovers you have at home. buying your meat pre-cooked means it is moist and can be sliced into 1/2 inch thick slices in the store. some commercial slicers have a setting of 35 which yields a nice thick cut so ask the person in the deli department if they have that setting before filling your order. Slices should be thick enough 1/4 -1/2 inch to give a nice cube of meat when you prepare this recipe.
FYI: Veronique in the name of a recipe implies that grapes are one of the ingredients.
- 8 ounces cooked chicken, smoked turkey, or cooked shrimp (if you don’t keep kosher)
- 1 1/2 ripe avocado
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 cups seedless grapes
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons ketchup
- 1 good pinch of dried summer savory
- 1 – 2 Tablespoons sweet vermouth
- Sliced almonds, toasted for garnish
- Cut the chicken into half inch cubes. Place in a medium sized bowl.
- Cut one of the avocadoes into half inch cubes and place in a small bowl with the lime juice. Toss.
- Add the green grapes to the chicken and toss.
- Combine the mayonnaise, ketchup, savory and sweet vermouth and mix well.
- Drain the avocado cubes. Using a rubber spatula, gently toss the avocadoes with the chicken and the grapes.
- Add the mayonnaise mixture and mix carefully.
- Thinly slice the remaining avocado half and coat with some additional lime juice. Arrange the slices over the top of the prepared salad and sprinkle with some toasted almond slices if you want.