5 cups blueberries
2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Finely grated zest of ½ lemon (optional)
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ cup sugar
CRUST AND TOPPING
1 ½ cups all purpose flour
1 stick butter (1/2 cup)
1/2 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Combine all the ingredients for the filling in a 2 quart bowl.
- Lightly press on the mixture so that juices from some of the blueberries dissolve the sugar and cornstarch. Set aside while you make the crust.
- Combine the crust mixture in a food processor or rub all the ingredients together with your finger tips
- Set aside 1 cup of this mixture for topping .
- Press the remainder of the mixture into the bottom and sides of a lightly greased 9 inch pie pan. Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Pour filling into prepared pie crust. Place pie on a rimmed cookie sheet and place on the lowest rack in your oven.
- Bake pie for 15 minutes.
- Remove pie from oven, r3educe temperature to 400F and sprinkle the reserved flour mixture on top.
10.Return pie to oven and bake for an addition 30 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbling.
- When raw fruit and sugar are allowed to “sit” for awhile, the sugar draws some moisture out of the fruit which helps dissolve the cornstarch and creates a perfect pie filling
- It is always good to place a pie plate on a rimmed cookie sheet or baking stone to catch any drippings that might occur during baking
- Allowing dough to rest relaxes the gluten in the flour and makes it easier to roll and it won’t shrink up when baked.