A bright, easy summer salad made with fresh corn on the cob (or even vacuum-packed corn makes a delicious side for all your grilled meats and fish and kids love it!
Summer Corn and Basil Salad
5 ears of corn, husks on ( or 3 cans vacuum-packed Niblets corn)
2 tablespoons sugar, 1 teaspoon of kosher salt, ¼ cup milk-OPTIONAL see step 1
½ cup finely diced red onion
1 ½ Tablespoons rice wine vinegar or balsamic
3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
½ teaspoon kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper (15 grinds)
1/3 cup chiffonade of basil leaves (see tidbit)
- Microwave corn on high in two batches for 3 ½ minutes each. Or shuck corn and then boil in water that has had the optional sugar, salt and milk added to it. Boil for 3 minutes. Drain and place in cold water to which 8 ice cubes have been added.
- When cool enough to handle, remove the husk and silk from the ears (if you used the microwave method). Cut the kernels off of the cob by holding a sharp knife against the cob at a 45 degree angle. Place in a medium serving bowl.
- Mix the corn kernels with the diced onion, rice wine vinegar, olive oil and salt and pepper. If you are serving within 30 minutes the basil may be stirred in at this time. If you are serving later, add the basil shortly before serving.
- This recipe may be made in advance and served at room temperature or chilled. Tina’s Tidbit:
- Any vinegar may be used but I like the low acidity of rice wine vinegar so that it doesn’t mask the flavor of the sweet corn.
- Chiffonade just means that the herb is cut into thin strips. The easiest and fastest way to do this is to lay the basil leaves flat, on top of each other and then roll them up from the long side (as if you were rolling a cigarette). Then, cut thin slices off the roll to make the little ribbons of basil that will flavor and beautify your dish.
- [Image]: https://cookingandmore.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Corn_Salad_Summer-2-FPO.jpg