SPICED ANGEL PECANS
1 egg white
1 Tablespoon butter melted
1 pound pecan halves
½ cup sugar
1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground allspice
½ teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon salt
- Pre-heat oven to 250F.
- Place egg white in a 2 quart bowl and beat with a whisk until light and foamy.
- Fold in melted butter and vanilla into the whites. Add the nuts and gently stir to coat all the nuts with the egg white mixture.
- In a small bowl combine the sugar, cinnamon, allspice, and salt and then gently fold into the nuts to coat evenly.
- Spread the nuts onto a jelly roll pan lined with parchment paper and bake for 45 minutes stirring the nuts after the first 25 minutes. Nuts should be very crisp and dry.
When completely cool store in an airtight container or freeze in zip freezer bags until ready to use.
For Savory Nuts : Substitute 1 Teaspoon Worcestershire sauce for vanilla , and use 1 ½ teaspoons Lawry’s season salt, ¼- ½ teaspoon garlic powder, and ¼ teaspoon curry powder instead of the spices. Prepare as directed above.
For Orange-Spice Nuts: Substitute 1 teaspoon orange extract for the vanilla and use ½ teaspoon cardamom instead of the nutmeg. Prepare as directed above.
NOTE: Recipe can be doubled but make sure to use 2 pans for roasting so the nuts aren’t crowded.
- [Image]: https://cookingandmore.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/SpicedAngelPecans.jpg