For summer dinners there is nothing easier than to cook something on the grill. Here is a recipe for an Indonesian beef dish that is sure to surprise your family and guests with it’s secret ingredient: CARAWAY SEEDS! It is good to marinate the meat overnight to tenderize the tougher cuts of kosher beef. My recommendation is to use ribeye which is more moist and not quite as tough as chuck or shoulder. If you are not keeping kosher, sirloin would be fine to use.
- 1 1/2 – 2 pounds rib eye, shoulder, chuck steak
- 4 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 Tablespoons minced fresh garlic or 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mix all of the ingredients together except meat.
- Cut the meat into 1 1/2 inch cubes and place the cubes in a bowl with the marinade. Marinate at least 1 hour, if not longer.
- Skewer the meat with any vegetables you desire (I recommend wedges of onion, green pepper, cherry tomatoes and mushroom caps.).
- Broil over hot coals for 10-15 minutes or until meat is the desired color.
- Serve with the accompanying sauce if you wish.
SAUCE SATE KATJANG
- 1/2-cup water
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3 Tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt to taste
- Combine water and lemon juice.
- Whisk peanut butter and slowly add just enough of the water mixture until you get a smooth sauce consistency. Stir in the red pepper flakes and salt. Serve with Sate Manis.
Additional Notes1. Use real lemon juice for this and all recipes that call for lemon juice. The liquid in the bottle that says “real” on it doesn’t bear any resemblance to the real thing!2. The acid in the marinade is what tenderizes the meat. In this recipe the lemon juice as well as the soy sauce are the tenderizers.