This is a classic recipe for Mandelbrot. They are very satisfying dunked in hot tea as a traditional finish to your meal.
2 3/4 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
6 Tablespoons oil
Juice of 1/2 orange
1 Tablespoon grated zest of orange
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup slivered almonds
Cinnamon and sugar mixture for topping
1. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl and set aside.
2. Cream sugar and oil until light and well combined. add juice, eggs, zest and vanilla and beat well.
3. Stir in the flour mixture and almonds and mix well.
4. On a greased cookie sheet form 2 loaves of dough about 4 inches wide and 10 inches long. Sprinkle the tops with cinnamon and sugar and bake for 45 minutes at 350F.
5. Remove the loaves from the oven. Cut the loaves on a diagonal into 1/2 inch slices. Place cut side down on the cookie sheet and return to the oven for 5 to 7 minutes or until lightly golden. Turn each slice over and return to the oven for an additional 5 minutes. Cool and serve.