Greek salad in pasta form transforms a salad into a main meal. Any additional protein would certainly turn this recipe into a substantial dish.
GREEK ORZO SALAD
2 cups orzo
2/3 cup minced fresh parsley
2/3 cup minced fresh basil or dill
1 cup feta cheese
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Cook the orzo for 10 minutes or until al dente. Drain and rinse under cold water. Drain again and place in a large bowl.
2. Seed the tomatoes and then cut them into 1/4 inch cubes. Add to the orzo.
3. Mince the parsley and the basil or dill by hand or in a processor and add to the orzo.
4. Add the feta cheese to the bowl.
5. Combine the lemon juice, olive oil and salt and pepper in a jar and shake to combine. Add this mixture to the orzo and toss to coat. Chill and serve.
• Any grain can be substituted for this delicious salad. Try cooked barley or brown rice or quinoa instead of the orzo.
• To seed a tomato, cut the tomato in half horizontally. Hold the tomato over the sink and gently squeeze and shake downward. If the tomato is ripe then most or all of the seeds will fall out.
• If you want to make this salad vegan, omit the cheese and add some additional salt or salty cheese substitute