No need to forego cheesecake if you are lactose intolerant or gluten-free and don’t pass up this recipe if you can easily substitute dairy products for the non-dairy alternatives! This recipe is easy and delicious. Try it you’ll like it…! Note to Vegans, use an egg substitute and you can enjoy this recipe as well.
2 1/3 cups Puffins Honey Rice cereal, or any GF lightly sweetened cereal
3 tablespoons light brown sugar
¾ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
4 tablespoons melted Vegan butter or coconut oil
8 oz. good quality cream cheese substitute (I used Kite Hill)
1/3 cup sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla
Grated zest from ¼ medium orange
3 tablespoons non-dairy creamer
- Place the cereal in a processor work bowl and pulse on and off until you get a fine crumb.
- Add the sugar and spices to the work bowl and pulse 3 times to combine.
- With the processor running, add the melted fat and process until all the crumbs are moistened and begin to cling together.
- Press the crumbs into 4 four inch tart tins with removable bottoms OR a 9 inch pie plate. Place in freezer for 10 minutes while you pre-heat oven to 350F.
- Meanwhile add the cream cheese substitute and sugar into a clean processor work bowl and process until “cream cheese” is smooth. Add the remaining ingredients and process for 3 minutes stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl at least once to create a smooth batter.
- Place the prepared pans or pie plate in the pre-heated oven and bake for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and fill the pan (s) with the prepared filling.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes for tartlets and 25-30 minutes for a pie.
- Serve chilled plain or with fresh fruit topping.