Turkish Sephardic Jews serve this sweet apple preserve as they wish their family and friends a SWEET NEW YEAR.
3 cups granulated sugar
1 ½ cups water
2 pounds apples, Granny Smith, Gala or Delicious
Juice of ½ lemon
1 Tablespoon Rosewater or 1 teaspoon Vanilla
¼ cup slivered almonds
- Place the sugar and water in a 3 quart saucepan and bring to a boil over medium high heat.
- While the mixture is heating, peel the apples and grate them by hand with a coarse grater or use a coarse grating disc on your processor. Immediately add the apples to the hot sugar syrup along with the lemon juice.
- Reduce the temperature to medium and allow to cook for 30 -45 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated and the mixture is quite thick. (Note: the amount of time depends on the variety of apple and its juice content.) Stir the mixture occasionally to prevent sticking.
- While mixture is cooking, toast the almonds in a 350F oven for 4 minutes or until lightly golden. Set aside.
- When mixture is thickened (it will get thicker when it cools ) add the Rosewater or the vanilla and place in an open container until cool. The toasted almonds may be added to the mixture or sprinkled on top as a garnish. Refrigerate until serving.