8 ounces almonds
1 cup sugar
2 cups lightly packed coconut
9 ounces dark chocolate, 60% cocoa butter
3 egg whites (approximately 1/3 cup whites)
1/3 cup coconut milk (unsweetened)
1 teaspoon almond extract
- Place almonds in a processor workbowl and pulse the machine on and off until the nuts are finely chopped. Add the sugar and coconut and pulse once or twice to combine
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave. 1 minute @ 80% and 45 seconds @50%. This time is approximate and based on a 1 ½ inch thick block of chocolate. It might take less time. Watch carefully and stir the chocolate after the first 45 seconds to check on the melting time.
- In a small glass measuring cup combine the egg whites, coconut milk and the extract. Set aside.
- Add the chocolate to the nut mixture in the processor workbowl.
- With the motor running, pour the egg white mixture into the workbowl and just process until the mixture comes together and is well combined.
- Pre-heat oven to 350F.
- Wet your hands or lightly coat them with oil. Dough is very sticky. Freeze for 5 minutes if it is too hard to handle.
- Scoop up one Tablespoon of dough and shape into a ball the size of a small walnut. Place on a parchment-lined cookie sheet. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Bake the macaroons for 12-15 minutes. (Convection ovens only need about 12 minutes at 350F.)
- Cool completely and then store in air tight container or freeze. Do not over bake as cookie will harden more when the chocolate solidifies at room temperature.
Yield: 5 dozen macaroons